Basements often tend to be moist, which increased the chances of accumulating and growing of moulds of all different types and colors. The molds along with this moisture make you basement smell foul.
There are many factors that could be causing your basement to be more damp than it should be. From leaky pipes or poorly constructed walls and ceilings that allow damp to settle in. There are many issues that can help this foul odor to permeate the air. This smell is not only irritating but it is also harmful to human health. Check out this blog that goes into detail about just how dangerous this toxin can be. Considering this as an important factor in our lives, were goingto be focusing on some solutions to get rid of that musty smell coming from your basement.
Kindly go through following steps to remove the musty smell from the basement:
- Place a small handful of coffee beans all around the basement. They are proven to absorb bad stinky smells. After removing the odor they will make your basement full of coffee beans fragrance.
- Repair all the leaking pipes: Call a plumber and get all the pipes sealed precisely to avoid even a single drop of leaking.
- Cover tampered walls: If your walls look like tampered then get it even throughout with the help of cement, POP and paint. Apply high quality paint to avoid reaction with presence moisture.
- Ensure you don’t have rotten fruits or dead insects or rat in your basement as they could be the reason behind bad odor. Check and get them removed if ever you suspect the presence of any of them.
- In case your basement is moist even after getting all repaired then place a significant amount of activated charcoal inside the basement area. Activated Charcoal is efficient in absorbing moisture and bad odors so it definitely provide relief from bad odor of basement.
- Fan dry the basement: Let the fans on at their full speeds for 1-2 days. It will help in drying out of basement and thus remove smell.
- Try to get a window linked with your basement. It will help in penetrating the sunlight inside the basement and thus remove the moisture and smell from the basement naturally.
- Remove the molds from your basement area. They make the basement smell worst so try to remove them with the help of sandpaper. Sandpaper will ease the removal of sticky molds and thus make your basement hygienic and smell free.
- Apply Borax throughout the basement area: It’s a natural cleanser and will effectively clean the basement if applied after mixing it in an equal amount of hot water.
- Baking soda application: Spread baking soda throughout your basement. It naturally de-odorizes the basement smell and makes it a better healthy place.
- Vinegar solution: Spraying of vinegar solution over affected areas has easily remove molds.
- Air Purifier: If none of the above listed home remedies was helpful in getting rid of musty smell coming from the basement, then it is recommended to shop an efficient air purifier for your basement. It will not only help in eliminating the foul smells from your basement but will also make a quite healthy place for living. It will effectively remove all the molds, airborne bacteria, pollutants and all harmful elements from the environment. It can serve you well even with large areas up to 1200 Square feet.
So these were few tips for getting rid of that musty smell coming from the basement. Hope you find it helpful. For more such tips and tricks keep an eye on our upcoming posts.